Sunday, April 13, 2014

You’ve Got Mail


Back when I was at Fredonia State and had my whole life in front of me, (Actually I still have my whole live in front of me but that’s another story) my friends and I used to sit around after Intervarsity Christian Fellowship and talk about how great it would be if we could receive a registered letter from God outlining how our lives would unfold. Well, truth be told, maybe I was the only one really interested in receiving this letter. Life can be scary and I thought a nice life outline from God would set me more at ease.

But that isn’t how it works. God gives us just enough to take one step, then another step. His Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path (Psalm 119:105) Unfortunately, it more akin to a flashlight pointed straight down than to those purplish high-beam headlights on cars that turn nighttime to high noon.

Jumping forward, more years than I’d care to admit, I was recently talking with a friend about this whole registered letter from God concept, and how we used to talk about it in college. After listening to me, she stated, “The Bible would be a pretty good letter don’t you think?”
My response, (face/palm) ……….DUH!?

Now I’m fairly certain this answer must have come up while in college, but regardless her answer hit me right between the eyes and got me thinking. My first thought, was of course, “she was right.” The Bible is a letter from God; it contains guidance, encouragement, and wisdom for our days on this earth. My second thought was, “what has God been writing to me?” God has a lot to say to us, the verses below are just a start.

1 My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart,
2 for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity.
3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. - Proverbs 3:1-3

13 Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding,
14 for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold.
15 She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.
16 Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor.
17 Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who embrace her; those who lay hold of her will be blessed.
- Proverbs 3:13-18

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. –Jeremiah 29:11-14

21 When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, 

22 I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. – Psalm 73:21-26

105 By your words I can see where I’m going; they throw a beam of light on my dark path.
– Psalm 119:105 (MSG)

The Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. – Ephesians 6:10-24

So you’ve Got Mail. We are only promised today, and for every today, God gives us His Word to light our Path, and provide direction along with the Holy Spirit. Enjoy your letter, it was written just for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment