Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Love (True Love)



I write about marriage often, maybe too often, but it's something that God has put on my heart.  This essay is not about marriage but it is about love. I was sitting at my desk last night and a bookmark with a scripture verse on it caught my attention.  Now this bookmark has been on my desk for months. Even though I've read the bookmark many times the verse really jumped out at me and it's been on my mind all day.  

So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her. Genesis 29:20 NIV

Some other translations:

So Jacob served seven years for Rachel and they seemed to him but a few days because of his love for her. Genesis 29:20 NAS

So Jacob worked seven years for Rachel. But it only seemed like a few days, he loved her so much. Genesis 29:20 The Message

So Jacob worked seven years to pay for Rachel. But his love for her was so strong that it seemed to him but a few days. Genesis 29:20 NLT

I want to love like this. This was real love, and not a feeling!  It's how all husbands should love their wives. Ok, I guess this essay is related to marriage.  Jacob served Laban for 7 years as the price to take Rachel as his wife, and then when his wedding came Laban swapped Rachel for Leah, and tricked Jacob into working 7 more years in order to pay for Rachel. (Some would say Jacob deserved that for what he did to Esau, but that is another story.)  Jacob worked a total of 14 years for Rachel. No feeling of love, or being in love, could sustain Jacob through his 14 years of work. Feelings change, sometimes quickly. This was real love. 


I looked up the translation of the Genesis 29:20 in the Greek Septuagint and Love in Genesis 29:20 is translated as the same word (γαπάω [agapao /ag·ap·ah·o) as love in Ephesians 5:25-3. Also, γάπη (agapē), is related and is demonstrated in 1 Cor13:1-13



Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansinga her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. Eph 5:25-31 (NIV)



 If I speak in the tonguesa of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,b but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. 1 Corinthians 13:1-8 (NIV)


Lord, help me to really love and not to base love on my feelings or emotions, but on your example.


“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,f that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (NIV)



a Or having cleansed
a Or languages
b Some early manuscripts body that I may boast
f Or his only begotten Son

No comments:

Post a Comment