Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Peace


The blog I wanted to post this week isn't done yet, I've a project at work that much be completed by the end of the month so I've been working a lot. I found this short essay I wrote in 2011, but never posted so I am posting it for this week. It's also appropriate since I could use more peace this week!

If there is one thing we could all use more of these days it’s the peace Jesus Christ brings. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks that days are flying by, and with our cell phones, email, text messages, tweets, wife, kids, work and other commitments we just don’t have time for peace. Whenever I think of peace I think of Luke 10:38-42. 


At the Home of Martha and Mary 


38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed.a Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” [1]
 
This story of Jesus’ always stops me like a kick in the teeth. Consider Martha’s situation. She received Jesus into her home and then neglected Him as she prepared an elaborate meal that He did not need! Certainly a meal was in order, but what we do with Christ is far more important than what we do for Christ. Christ would have been ok with mac and cheese. Again, it is not an either/or situation; it is a matter of balance. Mary had done her share of the work in the kitchen and then had gone to “feed” on the Lord’s teachings. Martha felt neglected after Mary left the kitchen, and she began to complain and to suggest that neither the Lord nor Mary really cared![2]
 
But it’s 2000 years later; we can’t physically sit at the feet of Jesus, can we? Of course not, but Jesus himself says in John 14:27 


27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. [3]
 
He’s given his peace to us and it’s separate from the world. Later in John 16:33


33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” [4]


Our peace is found in him. We will have troubles but praise God he has overcome the world! Paul says in Philippians 4:4-9 the peace of God will guard our hearts and mind in Christ Jesus. How awesome is that! 


4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.[5]
 
So it’s clear the peace we are seeking in this world does not come from the world it comes from Jesus. How do we get this peace? We do what Mary did and sit at his feet. Finish your work, but do not neglect sitting at his feet. As stated earlier, what we do with Christ is far more important than what we do for Christ. Again, it is not an either/or situation; it is a matter of balance.



a Some manuscripts but few things are needed—or only one
[1]The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Lk 10:38-42). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
[2]Wiersbe, W. W. (1996, c1989). The Bible exposition commentary. "An exposition of the New Testament comprising the entire 'BE' series"--Jkt. (Lk 10:38). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.
[3]The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Jn 14:27). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
[4]The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Jn 16:33). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
[5]The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Php 4:4-9). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.

No comments:

Post a Comment