Monday, June 30, 2014

Knock, Knock, Knocking on Heaven’s Door



OK, so the title is a knock off (pun intended) of a Guns n Roses song from the late 80’s that I remember from my high school days.  Actually, I learned while typing this essay that the song goes back to Bob Dylan, but I digress.  I’ve been really focusing, almost meditating on some scriptures the past few months while trying to determine God’s purpose for my life, and the direction I need to take.  These verses include some favorites.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” – Matthew 7:7-8

“I tell you the truth, anyone has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the son may bring glory to the Father.  You may ask for anything in my name, and I will do it. If you love me, you will obey what I command” – John 14:12-15

As I said, I have been praying for months for guidance, and not really hearing anything from God other than to walk the path.  I was beginning to wonder what the heck was going on. I was driving home in a snowstorm talking to God asking him what the heck he was trying to teach and exactly what I was supposed to learn.  Then I read Daniel and had an ”Oh Crap” moment. To quote Pastor Mark Sterlace,

“Daniel was moved by what motivated God; he was moved by what was on the heart of God.  His desires became God’s desires, and he desired to see a great move of God in his nation. So he began to cry out to God the desires of God.” 

Was I focusing on the desires of God? Was I making his desires my own? Was the reason I wasn’t seeing the fulfillment of Matthew 7:7-8 and John 14:12-15 because the prayers I was praying didn’t help Jesus to bring glory to the Father?   

A few weeks later I was at another bible study and we read Proverbs 16:9 “In his heart man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.  In other words, plan ahead, yet submit to the will of God.  I am always amazed by the power in the book of Proverbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment